When one parent has left the a child without support or contact for 12 months or greater, a Court may terminate that parent’s parental rights, We will discuss with you whether this is a viable alternative in your case. Once the termination of parental rights is granted which is also commonly called an abandonment, then we cam file and proceed with a step-parent or grandparent adoption.